The Bare Life Review is pleased to accept unsolicited manuscripts in fiction, non-fiction, and poetry. We pay a professional rate of $1000 for accepted prose pieces, and $400 for accepted poems. We purchase first North American serial rights. Rights to the work revert to the author immediately upon publication.
We are committed to publishing work exclusively by immigrant and refugee authors, and to showcasing the immense—indeed, infinite—value and diversity of this literature. To this end, we accept work only from:
- Foreign-born writers living in the United States
- Writers living abroad who currently hold refugee status
While we enjoy and value the work of native-born writers—including the children of immigrants—we do not publish it, and ask that you respect the journal's guidelines in this respect. We cannot, and do not wish to subject our writers to an interrogation as to their origins; we depend upon the good faith of those submitting work to maintain and further the journal's mission.
All work must be submitted in English. We accept translation, so long as rights have been secured. Eligibility requirements in this case apply to both author and translator.
Submissions will be judged solely on artistic grounds. Your work may, but need not, deal explicitly with issues of immigration, exile, or refuge.
Submission period: August 1–December 31
- Fiction submissions should be no longer than 8,000 words. Please submit only one story at a time. We are not considering unsolicited novel excerpts at this time.
- Non-fiction submissions should be no longer than 6,000 words. Please submit only one essay at a time.
- Poetry submissions should include 3–5 poems, totaling no more than 10 pages. Please submit all poems in a single document.
Simultaneous Submission Policy:
We accept simultaneous submissions, but ask that you notify us immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere.
The Bare Life Review does not accept work that has been previously published. This includes online publications and blogs.
Your cover letter should list the type of submission, a rough word count (or line count, in the case of poetry), and include a short bio.
To submit, please use our online submission service, Submittable.